Thursday, August 11, 2011

Milkman's Reflections - Aug 12 - I miss the old me..

Anyone ever get this feeling?
"I miss the old me   
 
I've been sober for about 8 months now. It's friday night and everybodys going out partying. Sitting here alone I started to think of how much I miss the feeling of getting ready to go out. I know I won't do it, but I feel like I miss it. I know that for me to drink, is like taking poison. Because I know its going to lead me back to the horrible path I use to travel.

The obsession has not left me. I think and wish I could drink like a normal person. I really wish I could. I get depressed because I know it's physicaly and mentally impossible. I know they say, don't drink, just for today. But I can't seem to stop worrying about what tommorrow will bring. I never thought I would be an alcoholic because I drank. I just wanted to have fun. I'm still having a hard time trying place myself in this world as my new self. A sober self. I really struggle trying to be like normal people. I wish things were different. I miss the way things used to be.
Bobby G.
------------------

"Good evening Bobby and I do really understand what you are saying..It's hard for us to be "normal" because let's face it we are not quite exactly normal:) And trust me I'm saying that with love. Every experience in life as a sober person can move us forward in the understanding of ourselves. When we withdraw, we stay stuck in a world we need to leave behind.
You can still get read on friday to go out, but just go out to a meeting..I know it's not the same, but you will meet people there just the same; just not the kind of people that would use drugs n alcohol..Those people can help you grow and find yourself as well. And trust me you can have a heck of a lot of fun sober and clean...I know I doLike I always say :I didn't get sober to be miserable.. and I make sure it stay that way.
We create problems for ourselves because we think we need to be more than we are. We fear that we are indadequate to the task before us, fear that the friends around us are bored by our presence. DON'T think that way, it prevents full involvement with the experiences you are given to grow on. I didn't know at the beginning either where was my place in this world as this new sober self. I did learn and opened my eyes and heart to new possibilities. All the past experiences, good or bad, made you who you are in this present moment. What you got in your heart, head and soul is the results of all those experiences.
Go ahead and share them, share who you are! Life is not boring:) it's what you make of it. Go get them!"

No comments:

Post a Comment