Sunday, August 7, 2011

Milkman's Reflections -Aug 8- Feelings

Feelings
Lately I have had some mixed feelings about some of the things going on in my life so I went to an article written by Zentai, part of a collection given to me for publication about recovery topics, and after reading one of the articles I came up with this summary. Hope it helps someone else as it helped me.



Have you ever thought about how you describe how you’re feeling when someone asks? Don’t most of us just answer “OK” or “All right” or something similar to that? Is that how we REALLY feel at the time? Or do we just take the “easy” way out so we don’t have to honest with someone? Lately when folks ask me at work that question, I get a little bit more honest, sometimes with just a couple of short words like: crabby, optimistic, angry, unimportant, bored and a variety of other words to describe how I feel at the time. I find myself doing it more and more and with people that may not be close to me as with others that I might share my feelings with. What I need to do is to share with the people that ARE close to me.

Being that we can’t control our feelings to any extent, why try? We need to just accept how we feel and control the expressions of them, such as anger: we don’t have to yell to be angry; bored: think of something that you can do to alleviate this, and so on and so forth.  Then ask yourself, "What do I need to do?"  Then take a few seconds more and ask yourself, "How will I feel about myself after I do this?"  If you think that you will feel bad, do not do it.  Try something else.  If you think you will feel all right, and then do it.  If you are not sure, try "not to do anything".  It is okay to be unsure.  If someone else is involved, tell the other person what you are feeling and that you do not know what to do.  Often they will help solve your confusion by the way they respond to you.

By voicing how we feel, it makes us more aware of just how we DO feel, and if we are aware of things, we have a better chance to fix them. Just remember that everyone has feelings and that’s ok, just do not be afraid of your humanness and you will no longer fear your emotions.

My Reflections in Recovery for today

No comments:

Post a Comment