Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Recovery Reflections for Today - June 28

Recovery Reflections for Today - June 28

Recovery Reflections for Today

Step One: Admitting that I was an addict/alcoholic was very simple to do. The tough part was truly believing I was.
I was one of “those” that was court ordered to attend 12 step meetings as conditions of probation/parole for alcohol/drug related offenses. Manipulation was a trait that a lot of addictive people have and use in their daily lives to insure the next drink or drug. It was a trait I used often and “fitting in” to mandatory 12 step meetings I followed suit introducing myself as “Mike Alcoholic/Addict”. For many years I was in denial, not thinking that it was really true.
It wasn’t until I had “a rude awakening” while walking the “yard” in San Quentin State Prison in 1996 that I realized that those words were really true. I was an alcoholic addict and my life had become unmanageable. I had finally become HONEST with myself.
"We admitted we were powerless over our addiction, that our lives had become unmanageable."
A "first" of anything is a beginning, and so it is with the steps: The First Step is the beginning of the recovery process. The healing starts here; we can't go any further until we've worked this step.

No comments:

Post a Comment