Sunday, July 1, 2012

Milkman's Recovery Reflections - July 2 - Who Am I? (You?)

Milkman's Recovery Reflections - July 2 - Who Am I? (You?) 


Who am I?
Personality: All of us are unique in one way or another. And one thing that makes us unique is our personality. In a way, our personality is like a fingerprint - it separates us from the rest of the crowd. Sometimes it can help us, at other times it just plain gets in the way. If we're in recovery, it's the same story. Sometimes our personality is an aid to our recovery, and at other times it's a barrier. So it's very important that we take a look at our personality and determine just what parts of it will be friendly to our recovery and what parts won't be.

I like to think that I act "myself" in all situations but I surely know that it isn't true. If I spoke what I really think all the time, I'm sure I would be in a world of hurt in a lot of places, lol. Work for one! In the stores for another. Did you ever see someone doing something that you dislike in a store and right on the edge of speaking out? I think that's a time when we have to think before we speak, and most times, just keep our thoughts to ourself.

There was a time that I'd enjoy arguing with anyone and about anything. Right or wrong, I was right. I had to be right because I was "numero uno", at least in MY eyes. It seems that the longer I'm clean and sober, the urge to argue gets dimmer and dimmer, and most times in today, I just think "Is it worth it?" "Do I need to be smarter, more clever than someone else?". I think I've learned to go with the flow. Don't get me wrong, I WILL stick up for myself. An old saying goes "just because I'm quiet and nice, don't mistake that for weakness".

Any takers on this subject?

My reflections for today. Mumbo jumbo, but it makes sense to me, lol. Have a great day...... unless you have other plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment