Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Recovery 365 - July 12 - Family Responsibility

Family Responsibility

Being the head of the family brings a lot of responsibility to a person. I’ve been the head of my family for a long time, I just didn’t realize it, or accept the responsibility that comes with it. When I drink and drug, there’s not much outside of myself that I tend to think about seriously. My mind was always on the “ME”, and what I could do for me, even to the point of using my “status” as Head of the Family, to benefit myself and my “isms”.
The longer that I remain clean and sober, the more I think about that status, and what it really means. Sometimes it means making decisions that everyone is not going to be overjoyed about, and sometimes it will mean some self sacrifice. It means, using your own judgment and experience, to make decisions that will be of benefit to your family as a whole.
When we’re active in our addictions, we have a hard enough time making decisions for our self without trying to make decisions for others. But…… we still made them, didn’t we? Sometimes they were the right decisions, but, speaking for myself, too often many of them weren’t good.
I guess the ideal way to make decisions affecting others, besides you, is to talk about the situation with those involved. That’s fine, if everyone is willing, but when their not, then the decision lies in the Head of the Family, as someone has to decide which way to go, whether they like it or not.
As I progress in my own personal recovery, I find that my decisions get better, as I’m making them with a clear head, with a memory and with a thinking ability that I never knew before as an adult. Not everyone is happy about some of them, but I believe that most of them are the right decisions. If they are not, then I can make the apologies today to those that they may affect. I’ve learned humility, and have no problems saying I was wrong or that I’m sorry, and will do my best to make it right.
The “stinkin’ thinkin’” is gone for today. One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment