Saturday, July 30, 2011

July 24 - Observe, Listen and Be Quiet

The other day I was in Target in line waiting for a gentleman (somewhere about 65 yrs old) to make his purchases. He had a six pack of O'Douls "near beer" and the young girl asked to see his ID. He got offended at the idea of being asked for an ID and they called one of the head cashiers to help. He told the man that there was alcohol in the O'Douls and he would have to show an ID, as these were the store rules. The man said "I refuse to show my ID". The young head cashier took the O'Douls (the six pack) and said "No ID, no purchase" and walked away.

The man then told the young girl cashier that he wanted to see the manager and complain. She oblidged him. In the meantime she rang up my things and I left, with the man standing there waiting for the manager.

I started to put in my "two cents", and tell him that there WAS alcohol, even though very little, in the O'Douls. I knew, because at one time, I might have been HIM. I had on occasion many times when trying to stop or cut down my comsumption, drank O'Douls, and even ordered it in the bars. I drank it just like I would have if it had been real beer. One after the other. It generally wasn't long before I went back to the real thing.

I held my tongue though, as I thought about it for about 2 seconds, and decided that it was not my business, or my place to interfer with someone else's reasons for drinking "near beer". Maybe a few years ago when new to recovery, I would have spoken up, but today, NO! I see this as growth, not because I don't drink O'Douls, but because I realize today that I don't need to get involved with everything that happens in life.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment