Saturday, July 30, 2011

July 30 - Weight gain in sobriety

My weight stayed between 175 and 185 almost my entire life till I hit 55 years of age. This was about a year and a half into recovery. I wasn't always in the best of shape physically, as towards the end of my active career in addiction, I was in pretty sad shape. But the weight still stayed about the same. I did drop to 165 while in the program in prison, but gained back to 185 about 6 months after hitting the streets.

When I got to 55 I started gaining weight steadily until I got to 220 lbs. Some say my weight gain is normal, but what is normal? lol I know that if I started a strict excercise program I could lose it, but needless to say, I keep procrastinating. Below is a post by a former member that was asking for advice. I posted it here as I'm sure there are folks that might read this that it pertains to. Hope to see some feedback on this for those that can relate and maybe offer some advice to others.

Thanks all

My reflections in recovery for today...........

A member shares---

Hi everyone. I am sure most people who read this will most likely be women. Can I just say that it is such a huge trigger for me gaining weight. I have gained a lot weight being clean and off of meth. I have been clean for almost 9 months now. I am also pregnant. Almost 34 weeks pregnant. (8 months) And sadly all I can think about is picking up as soon as I have this baby to just get rid of the weight. Now, to me, that is my disease tricking me. That is NOT the way you lose weight cause if i do that it could lead to using everyday. And I do not want that. For any women reading this who have struggled accepting their weigh gain during pregnancy and after they had their baby any words of advice would be very much appreciated.

I think my brain and my head is sick sometimes when I get these thoughts. I need encouragement to loose this weight. I know I am young, and alot of it will probably come off. Using meth to get that extra weight off is NOT the way. I just needed to share my thoughts and ask for any words of advice and experience.

If any ladies are reading this that have had a baby how much weight did you gain and what was your experience? How did you cope? Thank you all for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment