Saturday, July 30, 2011

July 28 - Freedom

What does freedom mean to you?

Freedom can mean being free or at liberty rather than in confinement or under physical restraint, Economic freedom, political freedom, and it can also mean physiological freedom. I’m sure we could find many other types of freedom, but for me, I’ll stick with these for now, as they are most important to my life as I see it.

I had my physical freedom taken from me many times during my life because of not conforming to the laws of the land. Most of my freedom was taken because of my misuse of alcohol and drugs. I’ve known people during my lifetime that never got into any problems when drinking or taking drugs socially. My problem was that as hard as I might have tried, I could NOT drink or use drugs socially. I started out that way, but my craving and addiction took over after the first one of either. I always wanted more to the extent that I ended up either not knowing what I was doing, doing stupid things and many times ending up in jail because of those actions.

Drugs and alcohol also took away my freedom of choice, freedom of emotion, and freedom of self control. I lost all freedom of self when I started on that first one.

Today in recovery, I’ve regained most of my freedoms and a few more that I never had, so that’s a plus. You can’t lose something you never had in the first place, lol.

What does freedom mean to YOU? What freedoms did your addictions take from you?

My Reflections in Recovery for the day.

Milkman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment