Saturday, July 30, 2011

July 26 - Court Ordered Meetings

Many of us in the 12 Step Rooms were ordered by the Courts to attend meetings because of "mishaps" we got ourselves into with the law generally caused by our addiction. For a lot of us, it gave us an insight to what we probably were, powerless over our addictions. For some of us it gave us hope and sobriety. Prayers to those still out there that it didn't work for. There IS still hope for them and they know where to go when they are ready.
Here's a short story by one of my former members in regards to court ordered meetings. For those still out there........ This could be YOU.

Hello, my name is M, and I'm a 'recovered' alcoholic...oh, I'm still an alcoholic...but I have recoverd from that hopeless state of mind and body that told me I needed a drink.  As the result of some illegal mis-adventures, I was directed to attend AA meetings by the court system in June of 1996.  I was angry, scared, and above all, humiliated.  "I ain't no alcoholic" I would tell people, "I got busted and the court sent me here for punnishment".  Within 1 month I went from not having a problem with alcohol to maybe over indulgent, and by 4 months I became a full blown ,real' alcoholic...and I didn't even pick up a drink!!!  I was alcoholic way before I knew it, and to those unsure, I always suggest the Doctors Opinion in the beginning of AA's Big Book. 

Fast forward 3 years:
        I had become active in AA, from chairing meetings to treasurer to group GSR, and in the rush of good fortune, I lost sight of where the good fortune came from.  I stoped taking my inventory and took yours, I rose above my fellows like a pride-filled ballon and floated into the hopeless state that brought on the first drink.  At first, I thought, "Hey, I did good...half a pint and I didn't want no more".  In a matter of 2 weeks, I went from I didn't want some more to I need some more.  After 6 months {six weeks of it in W Hospital Rehab), I came back to meetings because I knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that I am powerless over my addiction, but more importantly I wanted what I had, what you had, what everyone can have if their willing to go to any leangth to get it.  By the grace of God, I haven't had to pick up sinse June 15, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment